Mount St. Dominic strives to continue to build a theater arts program which both educates and entertains in front of and behind the curtain.
Trained professionals help our young women explore their talents in technical, practical and theoretical aspects of acting, set, lighting, sound and costume design. Our productions have been recognized with nominations and recognitions by Montclair State University Theater Night Awards and Papermill Playhouse Rising Star Awards.
2010 Anything Goes
2011 Once Upon a Mattress
2011-12 Sara & Eleanor/Drowsy Chaperone
2012-13 Odd Couple/Mystery of Edwin Drood
2013-14 Dining Room/The King & I
2014-15 Our Town/The Boyfriend
2015-16 Radium Girls/Peter Pan
2016-17 Little Women/42nd Street
2017-18 Almost, Maine/Bye, Bye, Birdie
2018-19 Midsummer Night’s Dream/Hairspray
- A full-scale dramatic production is presented in the fall.
- In recent years, Mount dramas have included: Almost, Maine, Little Women, Radium Girls, and Our Town.
- This year’s production: Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream. Show dates are Friday, November 16 and Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 7:30 pm in the Doris M. Byrne Performing Arts Center.The language of magic and love is in the air on the Mount stage this fall. Join us on for an evening of shenanigans when the mortals of Athens find themselves deep in the woods and under the mischievous spells of the fairy world in the Mount’s Shakespearean production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream. Chaos unfolds when the natural world of the fairies collides with a triangle of young lovers and a band of theatrical players. Journey with us into the mythical, magical world Shakespeare has created in this highly produced classic comedy.
- Auditions: Open to all Mount students. Newcomers welcome; no theatrical experience required. Male actors: High school-aged boys will be needed for a limited number of male roles in the play. Feel free to invite male friends to audition. Email PAC Director Mrs. Posner firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- A fully-staged Broadway musical is presented each Spring.
- In recent years, Mount musicals have included: Bye, Bye, Birdie, 42nd Street, Peter Pan, The Boyfriend, The King and I, Anything Goes, The Mystery of Edwin Drood, and The Drowsy Chaperone.
- This year’s production is Hairspray. Show dates February 28, March 1, 2, & 3, 2019 in the Doris M. Byrne Performing Arts Center.
Hairspray is an American musical with music by Marc Shaiman, lyrics by Scott Wittman and Shaiman and a book by Mark O’Donnell and Thomas Meehan, based on John Waters’ 1988 film of the same name. The songs include 1960s-style dance music and “downtown” rhythm and blues. In 1962 Baltimore, Maryland, teenager Tracy Turnblad’s dream is to dance on The Corny Collins Show, a local TV dance program based on the real-life Buddy Deane Show. When Tracy wins a role on the show, she becomes a celebrity overnight, and meets a colorful group of characters, leading to social change as Tracy campaigns for the show’s integration.
- Auditions: Open to all Mount students. Newcomers welcome; no theatrical experience required. Male actors: High school-aged boys will be needed for a limited number of male roles in the play. Feel free to invite male friends to audition.
Tickets: Click here to purchase.